I arrived back in NYC about 6:30 AM on Friday, 4 September. My post for the voyage will be forthcoming within a week. I want to create a resource for search engines when people are wanting to learn what a Trans-Atlantic crossing is like on the Queen Mary 2. So, in time, just bear with me.

My plan was to head to Boston from NYC (my car was there, and the boys are there – not to mention number 1 grandson). I had bought a bus ticket for 1 PM (preferred train was cost prohibitive), but I arrived at the Port Authority Building about 9:30 (remember I like to build in contingencies).  I checked at the Greyhound counter and I could change my departure time to 10:30 for $20 – worth it to leave the Port Authority building early and its “whatever.” I headed to gate 84, and in time found I could have gotten on the earlier bus without paying the $20 – no big deal.

Gary (number 2 son) and Alex (number 1 grandson – David’s son) met me at South Station about 3;30, and we headed to David’s house. Mari made dinner, and I said, “Alex, want to go to Gary’s house with us?”  The first time a few years back he did not want to (never having been from home alone, except at my house), and as we walked out the door then he yelled, “wait for me,” and he had fun. This time when asked he immediately said “yes”, and when asked why, he replied, “Gary and Grandpa Ray equal FUN!”  Arriving in Gloucester we played a game until midnight.

Saturday morning Alex wanted to repeat his pancake and bacon experience at THE TWO SISTERS, and we finished up about noon. Then we headed to Stage Fort Park where we had a great time on our first visit (Alex did not want to get out of the car that time, but once convinced and engaged in an acorn fight on the big rock, he was hooked – Gary and Grandpa Ray equal FUN). But the parking fee was in effect, so after 20 minutes of free parking we headed to Rocky Neck in East Gloucester, just a walk from Gary’s house.

Gloucester was packed – Rocky Neck was not. We had ice cream on the inlet, with this view.


Alex and Gary:


Rocky Neck is just one short street of galleries and bars and restaurants, and then the marina and “shipyard.”

Typical Rocky Neck Art Colony shop in East Gloucester, Mass.

Typical Rocky Neck Art Colony shop in East Gloucester, Mass.

But, at the parking lot was this vintage trailer and Jeep Wagoneer, you know I love the off-beat. So, check out the Mobile Museum of American Artifacts. Maybe this is how I can tell the world about my Tent of Wonders. Oh, that is something I still have to expand !!!


At the end of the street is the “oldest working shipyard in America” the Gloucester Marine Railways Corporation established in the 1850s.


And, this engine since the original days (now powered by diesel instead of steam) pulls the chains to pull vessels out of the water on the two aged ramps.


This tug was recently pulled up on one of the tracks.


The shipyard area and its couple docks just have to be experienced. Remember to click an image to get the larger size.

We then drove over to Rockport, the famous art colony on Cape Ann.


The famous street on Bear Skin Neck is what people visit. Alex had been there on a school trip, and was anxious to repeat his experiences.

Gary and Alex heading down the "main" street.

Gary and Alex heading down the “main” street.

And looking out of the harbor to the lighthouse.


But, then we headed back to the “big rock” in the park to play hide and seek. The parking fee was no longer in effect.

Alex and Gary. Often, it does not matter who won !!!

Alex and Gary. Often, it does not matter who won !!!

So, Saturday night Gary had a function to go to, and I took Alex back home. I wanted to see David who had been sailing for 10 days, and once he arrived home we ate, and then watched JAWS – appropriate after 10 days sailing including visiting Martha’s Vineyard – the real Amity. I decided to spend the night, and headed home Sunday morning, arriving (after buying books – natch!) home at 3 PM.

So, coming soon will be that final post of the Queen Mary 2 Trans-Atlantic crossing experience for the world to read. My goal on this crossing was to ascertain what I wanted to do for the next twenty years. I may not have cast that in concrete, but did develop two writing scenarios that should keep me “out of trouble” for awhile.  So, thanks for visiting, thanks for reading, and “stay tuned.” As always, yours, RAY

This entry was posted in 2015-c DUBLIN et al, Day (or maybe two) Trips and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.


  1. Carol Crolle says:

    Always enjoy your posts, Ray. Happy for you that you had family time in addition to your voyage. That was the icing on the cake. Looking forward to the QM2 “details”. Carol

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s